Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Just for the record...

I am a terrible professional blogger. Clearly. It has taken me months to get back here to post something. Unfortunately, I have a very good reason why.

Things in Michigan are a bit crazy for those of us working with government documents. The huge budget cuts we're facing thanks to the recession and the collapse of the manufacturing industry in certain parts of the state mean that the Library of Michigan is currently unable to remain our regional. So for the past couple of months, on top of all of my regular responsibilities, I've been traveling around the state going to meetings in hopes of understanding what's going on and making sure that our library's voice is heard. That's a lot to handle in your first year as a professional, but I THINK I've managed to do it without making a complete fool of myself.

In other news, I'm heading to ALA next week! I'm going to be ridiculously busy of course, but I think it'll be a lot of fun. I have a committee meeting that I think I might be co-leading (which I am really hoping I don't completely fail at since I will probably know half the people there - Slavic librarianship is a small small world), a meeting with my co-editor for lunch, and several library-themed cocktail hours. And I just found out that my GODORT buddy is the co-editor of Documents to the People. So, um, that's kind of amazing.

Professionally things are really going great. I love my job, even though sometimes it drives me crazy. (Mostly that's my fault - I've volunteered for a lot of things to help build up my CV for my reappointment in February. Unfortunately, more things just keep popping up. So I've made myself slow down a little, and it's becoming a bit more manageable.)

In non-work news, my CSA has started and it's a blast so far. I'm supposed to cover that on my other blog, which has also been languishing, but hopefully I'll pick it back up! I really do like Grand Rapids and my career and all the craziness that's been happening in the library world. It's always an adventure.

No comments: