Friday, October 23, 2009

Guns on Campus

This article showed up today in one of my higher education or library feeds (I want to say it was the kept up academic librarian...but I might be wrong).

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091021/POLITICS02/910210371/1026/rss06


Basically, there are people trying to prevent colleges and universities from outlawing concealed weapons on campus property. For the record - I don't believe weapons should be allowed on campuses. As one of the quoted educators says - it can't be a good idea to combine youth, drinking, and firearms. That being said, I respect one the issues cited as a reason why the rule needs changing - that the borders of campuses are not always clearly marked, and thus people don't know that they're breaking the rules.

I don't know what will happen with this bill in the long term, but it is something to keep an eye on, particularly as I've heard of similar bills being introduced in other areas.

This isn't a particularly interesting or well thought out post, but I thought some of you might be interested in this article and the issues it raises.

In non-library related news, I'm buying a car this weekend/week (and driving to michigan a week from tomorrow). In theory I have an apartment...maybe. I'm not yet approved, so we'll see what happens.

No comments: