Tuesday, April 20, 2010

More EdFutures things

#EdFutures

Today I sat in on my first session for the Education Futures open class I’m taking and WOW this is going to be a lot of fun. I’m actually doing another webinar session through one of my professional organizations that uses the same platform, and I’m amazed at how much better this is. People are just so much more engaged already (we’ll see if this continues).

While I am certainly hoping to learn more about the whole idea of futurism and planning for several scenarios – I’m even more interested to see what the other participants think of the issues we discuss. As a recent graduate, newly hired faculty member, and librarian I’m fairly isolated in terms of viewpoints. Add to that the fact that I work at a (totally great!) university in a fairly homogenous area, and it’s just nice to see what everyone else thinks.

Oh, and completely selfish reason for hoping I get a lot out of this class? I’m in the process of planning for the future of my collection (which I’m fairly protective of). I am hoping that this will give me a better idea of how to plan for the several very different futures that I’m currently looking at. Because if I make the wrong decision, there are serious implications for the institution’s library services and materials for decades to come.

1 comment:

Benjamin L. Stewart, PhD said...

Sounds like the pressure is on! I look forward to sharing ideas with you during the course.